I have had a guest at Mara House in Luxor for 3 days…..he personally checked in 2 pieces of luggage at Cairo Airport with Egypt Air around 3pm on the 17th May. A few hours later he arrived in Luxor …NO LUGGAGE!. We have attempted for 3 days to trace his lost luggage. After 2 days and two trips to the airport plus many calls to Cairo + personal visit to Cairo Airport on the 18th by one of our managers he finally got ONE bag……HALF HIS STUFF WAS MISSING!!!
Today on the 20th May after much fighting with Egypt Air managers on the phone we finally located his second bag still in Cairo Airport. He returned to Cairo Airport from Luxor tonight and has got his second bag…..HALF THE CONTENTS OF THE SECOND BAG IS MISSING. Lost items included all connections etc. for his laptop, his work etc. No wonder they did not want to release the bags!!!!! There is obviously a problem with security at Egypt Air in Cairo regarding checked-in luggage. It was only a few hours between his bags being checked in and them going “missing”. Therefore it has to be within the power of Egypt Air to find the thief (thieves) as only a certain amount of staff could have had access to the luggage storage during those hours.
If you do lose your luggage
- Do not be gentle and accepting at the airport when you report it……you need to send out the message that you are going to be difficult about this.
- Take the name and phone number of the person you can contact for updates.
- Call all relevant airports every 4 hours or so.
- Demand an update as to where in the world exactly the lost luggage is
- If you have to go again to the airport to collect it – go through the bag in front of the officer and if anything is missing fill out the claim form there and then.
- Paperwork is everything in Egypt and if someone has taken something from your bag you have a better chance of getting it back if you do the paperwork.
Latest posts by Mara (see all)
- Latest Measures in the fight against COVID-19 in Egypt. - 23/03/2020
- Community Life Winding Down in Egypt - 21/03/2020
- “It’s Like Riding a Bicycle” – Not! - 20/03/2020