Yes, some might say “she is cutting off her nose to spite her face” and some may say “good for her, she’s standing on her principles” and some may answer “Principles don’t put food in your belly”. Whatever, I am who I am and I am doing this because I don’t see any other way to go. I have to stand up and speak my truth and take the consequences, be they good or bad.
TripAdvisor has a monopoly when it comes to online reviews, as it stands today. As a result it works a system which holds business owners,, managers and staff around the globe to ransom. As a hotel owner I have no choice as to whether my business is on TripAdvisor or not. That is because reviews for hotels, tours, attractions etc are the life blood of TripAdvisor. Without the reviews TripAdvisor is dead in the water.
I would have no problem with TripAdvisor if it were not for the shameful way it treats the businesses on the site. It has been getting away with destroying businesses and sending some owners to the brink of despair and beyond for quite some time now. We spend our lives building our businesses and our reputations. TripAdvisor can ruin a business in a matter of days.
I am not speaking here, at all, about bad reviews from genuine customers with bad experiences of various places they stay, eat etc. – and they are many.
If you want to know the kind of bad treatment I am referring to, you can read about my own personal experience with TripAdvisor in my very long, badly written, but from the heart blog post here http://marahouseluxor.com/dispute-with-tripadvisor/
I know I am going out on a limb here – I hope you will help me to keep the branch from breaking. All our Mara House business comes from the internet and your reviews are now, more than ever, going to be our life line.
Where to Review Mara House
So, standing on my principles I am asking past and future guests/clients/friends to do the following if you want to help us.
- DO NOT leave a review on TripAdvisor for Mara House
You Have Any and All of these Alternatives for Reviews
- Whatever option you took with us, there is a page on our website –
- go to the end of that page,
- scroll past the last guest comment
- there is a heading “Leave a Reply”
- there is a comment box – write in that box.
- Write me a email with your comments and I will post it on my website WITHOUT your contact details
- Write in the Guest Book at Mara House, I will copy that to my website without your contact details
- Google – you find it by just searching for Mara House Luxor on google. I have never asked for reviews here before but I am now.
- When Mara House comes up in the search
- Look for the link in blue “google reviews” it will also have a number before it.
- Click on it and you will see the “Write a Review” option.
- Linkedin – this is the link to my profile there https://www.linkedin.com/in/egyptwithmara/ Many people left reviews there for me prior to 2011 and a few after that.
- Under my profile photo it says “message” and next to that is a button “more”
- When you click on “more” it gives you the option to “recommend” that is where you can review.
- Facebook Mara House Page. This is the new Review Link https://www.facebook.com/marahouseluxor/reviews/
I hope many of you will find a way to support me and my colleagues at Mara House. Many thanks.
Update: A friend just sent me this wonderful article written two years ago. Heather went to a great deal of trouble to research and put this together and for this I thank her. What You Don’t Know About TripAdvisor
Hi, I'm from Ireland and I built Mara House, a small, family run, unique boutique hotel in Luxor in 2003.....My promise is to deliver quality service, traditional food, comfort, enjoyable experiences, up-front pricing, no hidden extras.....PLUS I answer all your emails personally..... I provide professional, qualified tour guides who do NOT divert you to shops, restaurants etc. for commission.....We are best suited to people who like to be taken care of from airport entry to airport departure, people who want to avoid hassle, scams and tourist traps.....You deal directly with me and Mara House is NOT bookable via TripAdvisor nor any other online hotel website.Hope you find my travel info helpful -//.. Mara
Latest posts by Mara (see all)