Two hospital options in Luxor:
- Go to the new Luxor Medical Center in St. Joseph St. This would be my choice because they are quick, efficient, speak English, and the services are of a high standard. I have had to use them on more than one occasion. I have used the Center for myself, my staff, and some of our guests from Mara House – we all found it excellent and accurate in all diagnoses and treatments. Not only do they speak English, – many of the staff are English.
On one occasion in particular, my son, my 5 year old grandson, and I were within hours of leaving Luxor to fly Luxor-Cairo-Amsterdam-Cork, when my grandson ran a fever and was obviously not feeling well. A quick trip to the hospital was necessary to alleviate our worries. The excellent staff understood our hurry and concern. They gave the boy a very thorough—and I mean, very thorough—checkover and prescribed an antibiotic plus some vitamins and good advice. Had we gone to any other or bigger hospital, we would not have been seen and given the all-clear to depart quite so fast. And he did need the antibiotic. I dread to think what the journey to Ireland would have been like had his condition continued to get worse.
- Go to the International Hospital in Television St. I have been there and found them slow and difficult to communicate with. Procedures that should have only taken a few minutes took too long to complete. They have facilities for evacuating medical emergencies if necessary. Treatment here is not cheap, and you should be aware that you are required to pay the bill before you leave the hospital. In fact, you cannot leave the hospital without paying, even if covered by insurance. The hospital will accept a telephoned, faxed, or emailed confirmation from your insurance company that they will cover your expenses, but they will not initiate the phone call to the insurance company. So if you want to get out of this hospital in a hurry,
- Have your insurance contact numbers on hand.
- and tell the hospital administrator you will pay for the cost of the phone call. They will not offer you the facilities or suggest that you make the call yourself. If you don’t make the call yourself, you could be waiting for hours for the insurance company to call the hospital back. (I waited 8 hours longer in the hospital with a friend because we did not know this!)
- Then, when the insurance company comes back to you to confirm the payment, make sure you have someone in authority from the hospital with you to accept the confirmation if it is going to be given by phone.